UP Catalyst is an Estonian start-up that currently has 14 employees. the company started 3 years ago and was a spin-off company from Tartu university. we are producing carbon nanomaterial and graphite from CO2 and from biomass (lignin). for that, we have 2 key technologies - CO2 molten salt electrolysis and biomass carbonization and activation technologies. in the last 3 years, we have participated in several accelerators events and gained grants of up to 4,5 mil euros, including from EIT raw materials and from EIT manufacturing. we have a wide range of partners in the EU and are supplying carbon nanomaterial to institutes like Bologna university, the University of Uulu, and London imperial college. 2023 will be a crucial year for UP Catalyst as we are finalizing the construction of our first t-scale reactor.
Type of organisation
- Micro enterprise (up to 10 employees and 2mil EUR turnover)
Organisation acts primarily in the following raw materials sectors
Which months can the internships take place?
- March 2023
- April 2023
- May 2023
- June 2023
- July 2023
- August 2023
- September 2023
- October 2023
- November 2023
- December 2023
What is the preferred duration of the internship?
- Akadeemia tee 23
During the internship, company is able to offer to the intern(s):
Is laboratory work included?
Preferred educational background of the intern(s)
- mechanical engineering
Required skills and competences
- We require our students to possess basic chemistry safety skills because the main area where they will be working is the chemistry lab in Tallinn. They would need to contribute their knowledge to improve our processes and work on the subsequent phases of the company's growth. Additionally, basic computer skills in MS office are essential, as our primary data gathering and documentation are done in that software. it is beneficial to have a basic understanding of physical- and electrochemistry. students with mechanical engineering backgrounds should be able to produce sketches for new machinery.
- Nanocarbon synthesis process upkeep, designing new processes for the synthesis reaction. We will have 3-5 grants a year, requiring interns to perform different takes.
- Sander Trofimov, Production manager
dr. Einar Karu, R&D manager
- Sander has a chemistry background and has worked in the automotive industry as a quality engineer. he is a process-driven person and expects this from all of his employees.
dr. Karu has graduated Max Plank institute of atmospheric chemistry and has driven up catalyst technology to the point of it being a game changer for the environment.
Permanent employment possibilities
Interview with the candidates
Has your organisation already participated?
Year/programme of participation